1. Science tells us some activities are good for our health and there are some
unhealthy activities. But millions of people still do those unhealthy activities.
Why? What can we do to change this situation?
2. Some people believe they should keep all money they have earned and should
not pay tax to the state. Do you agree or disagree?
3. There are social, media and technical problems associated with the use of
mobile phones. What forms do they take? Do you agree that the problems
outweigh the benefits of mobile phones?
4. Today, the advanced science and technology have made great changes to
people’s life, but artists such as musicians, painters and writers are still
highly valued. What can arts tell us about life that science and technology
5. In many countries, the proportion of older people is steadily increasing. Does
this trend have more positive or negative effects on the society?
6. More and more measures to improve the security in large urban areas have
been introduced in many countries because of the increasing crime rate. Do
the benefits of these measures outweigh the drawbacks?
7. When families have a meal together it is considered as social activity. Do you
think eating together is important to people in your country?
8. Some people believe that parents have the most important role in a child’s
development, while others argue that television or friends have the most
significant influence. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
9. Some people think that cultural traditions may be destroyed when they are
used as money-making attractions aimed at tourists. Others believe it is the
only way to save these traditions. Discuss both sides and give your opinion.
10. Nowadays education quality is very low. Some people think we should
encourage our students to evaluate and criticize their teachers. Others
believe that it will result in a loss of respect and discipline in the classroom.
Discuss on both sides.
11. Film stars and music celebrities may earn a great deal of money and live in
luxurious surroundings, but many of them lead unhappy lives. Do you agree
with this statement? To what extent is this price they pay for being famous?
12. Should parents be obliged to immunize their children against common
childhood disease? Or do individuals have the right to choose not to
immunize their children?
13. People who have original ideas are of much greater value to society than
those who are simply able to copy the ideas of others well. To what extent do
you agree or disagree with this statement?
14. Young people have different ideas and attitudes with their parents and
grandparents. What are the differences? What problems may be caused?
15. In some countries, marriages are arranged by the parents but in other cases,
people choose their own marriage partner. Discuss both systems.
16. Some people say that professional workers such as doctors, nurses and
teachers who make greater contribution to the society should be paid more
than those people in the field of sports and entertainment. To what extent do
you agree or disagree?
17. The level of noise around us is constantly increasing, and is affecting the
quality of our lives. What cause the noise? What should be done about it?
18. More and more people use private cars instead of taking public transport.
What are the reasons for this trend? How can the government encourage
people to take public transport?
1. Some people think sports games are important for society, while others
believe they should be taken as leisure activities. Discuss both views and give
2. It becomes more popular to find out the history of one’s family. What are the
reasons for people to do this and do you think it is a positive or negative
3. Some people think developing countries should invite large foreign
companies to open offices and factories to help with their economic growth.
Other people think developing countries should keep large companies out
and develop local companies. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
4. What are the advantages and disadvantages of charging people for
admission to museum?
5. In some countries around the world, men and women are having children
later in life. What do you think cause the situation? What are the effects on
society and family life?
6. People who like to read develop better imagination and language skills than
those who prefer to watch TV. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
7. It has been observed that in many countries not enough students are
choosing to study science subjects at university. What do you think are the
causes of the problem? What are the effects on society?
8. As most people spend a major part of their adult life at work, job satisfaction
is an important element of individual well-being. What are the factors that
contribute to job satisfaction? How realistic is the expectation of job
satisfaction for all workers?
9. Some people think that good health is a basic human need, so the medical
service should not be run by profit-making companies. Do you think the
disadvantages of the private health care outweigh the advantages?
10. The world of work is changing rapidly. Working conditions today are not the
same as before and people no longer rely on taking one job for life. Discuss
the possible causes for these changes and give your suggestions on how
people should prepare for work in the future.
11. Maintaining public libraries is a waste of money since computer technology
can replace their functions. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
12. With the increase use of mobile phones and computers, fewer people today
are writing letters. Some people think that the traditional skill of writing
letters will disappear completely. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
How important do you think is letter-writing?
13. Some people believe that unpaid community service should be a compulsory
part of high school programs (e.g. working in a charity, improving the
relationship of neighbourhood or teaching sports to children). To what extent
do you agree or disagree?
14. In many countries, workers over 60 can still be found in the workplace.
However, some people think that this may cause social problems and they
should be retired. Do you agree or disagree?
15. Nowadays, some celebrities such as film stars, sportsmen and pop musicians
are paid too much. Do you agree or disagree? Which jobs should be highly