1. Nowadays sending children to boarding school, either in other countries or in
their own countries, is becoming increasingly popular. Why? Is it a positive
2. The development of technology changes the way people connect with each
other. In which way does the development of technology change the types of
relationships that people make? Does it have positive or negative effect on
3. Many people go abroad to travel to see what other countries look like.
However, the places all around the world are looking more and more similar.
What do you think is the cause of this similarity? Do you think the
advantages of this effect outweigh the shortages of it?
4. Individuals and countries cannot help everyone who needs help in the world,
so they should only be concerned about their own communities and countries.
To what extent do you agree or disagree?
5. Some people say that professional workers such as doctors, nurses and
teachers who make greater contribution to the society should be paid more
than those people in the field of sports and entertainment. To what extent do
you agree or disagree?
6. Some people think that introducing new technology can improve people’s
quality of life in the developing countries. However, others believe that free
education should be offered. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
7. Traffic jam is a problem in many towns and cities. Some people suggest that
governments build wider roads in order to solve the problem. Do you agree
8. The level of noise around us is constantly increasing, and is affecting the
quality of our lives. What cause the noise? What measures should be taken to
deal with the noise?
9. An increasing number of people decide to learn a foreign language. What is
the most difficult part when you learn a foreign language? What could
learners do to overcome these difficulties?
10. 100 years ago, human race believed we would make continued progress in all
areas of life. Today, some people feel less certain about this. What areas of
progress human race has made? What are other areas that we haven’t
11. Nowadays people are living an increasingly longer life and in many countries
there are more old people than young people. What are the advantages and
disadvantages of this trend?
12. It has been suggested that everyone in the world want to own a car, a TV and
a fridge. Do you think the disadvantage of such a development outweigh its
13. In today’s society, more and more work is done by machines. Do you think
the positive effects of the development outweigh the negative effects on
individuals and society?
14. Nowadays more and more young people hold the important positions in the
government. Some people think that it is a good thing, while others argue
that it is not suitable. Discuss both these views and give your opinion.
15. The major cities in the world are growing fast, as well as their problems.
What are the problems that young people living in cities are facing with?
Give solutions to these problems.
16. Classmates are a more important influence than parents on a child’s success
in schools. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
17. Some movies are serious, designed to make the audience think. Other movies
are designed primarily to amuse and entertain. Which type of movie do you
prefer? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.
18. Most people have unhealthy diet and do not do enough exercises. What are
the reasons for this? How can we encourage people to have a healthier
1. Some people think the cheap air flight gives ordinary people more freedom.
However, others think the cheap air flight should be banned because it
pollutes the air and brings many other problems. Discuss both views and
give your opinion.
2. With technology speeding up, more and more young people begin to use
mobile phones and the Internet, but old people have little chance to be
exposed to them. What ways could mobile phone and the Internet be useful
to old people? How can ole people be encouraged to use this new technology?
3. Some people think students should learn more practical courses like
computer, but others think they should learn more about theoretical courses
like geography and mathematics. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
4. Some people support development of agriculture, like factory farming and
scientific creation of fruits and vegetables, while other people oppose.
Discuss both views and give your opinion.
5. Nowadays education quality is very low. Some people think we should
encourage our students to evaluate and criticize their teachers. Others
believe that it will result in a loss of respect and discipline in the classroom.
Discuss on both sides.
6. Film stars and music celebrities may earn a great deal of money and live in
luxurious surroundings, but many of them lead unhappy lives. Do you agree?
To what extent is this price they pay for being famous?
7. Should parents be obliged to immunize their children against common
childhood diseases? Or do individuals have the right to choose not to
immunize their children?
8. People who have original ideas are of much greater value to society than
those who are simply able to copy the ideas of others well. To what extent do
you agree or disagree with this statement?
9. In some countries, marriages are arranged by the parents but in other cases,
people choose their own marriage partner. Discuss both systems.
10. According to those in the travel business, the nature of the average “holiday”
is changing. Rather than seek a relaxing break in a far-away place, people
want excitement on their holidays and are keen to participate in unusual and
challenging activities. Do you agree or disagree?
11. People should read only those books that are about real events, real people,
and established facts. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
12. It is sometimes said that borrowing money from a friend can harm or
damage the friendship. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
13. Some people believe that children should be brought up in cities. Others
believe that countryside offers a better environment for children. Discuss
both views and give your opinion.
14. In recent years, the number of crimes committed by young people in major
cities throughout the world is increasing. Discuss this issue. Give reasons and
suggest some solutions.
15. People can perform everyday tasks, such as shopping and banking as well as
business transactions without meeting other people face-to-face. What are
the effects of this on individual and society as a whole?
16. Some people say that it is the responsibility of individual to save money for
their own care after they retire. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
17. Some people believe they should keep all money they have earned and should
not pay tax to the state. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
18. Some people believe that the best way to produce a happier society is to
ensure that there are only small differences between the richest and the
poorest members. To what extent do you agree or disagree?